Car accident injuries in Michigan

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, Fran Murphy Law PLC is here to help you get what you need to recover physically and to seek the benefits you are entitled to under Michigan’s No-Fault Act.  The benefit of Fran Murphy Law PLC is you work directly with an attorney rather than staff to create an individualized plan to help you get what you need.

What kind of personal insurance protection benefits are provided under the Michigan No-Fault Law?

In Michigan, if you are injured in a car accident, you can get your medical and other expenses paid for through your auto insurance.  This is what is meant by “no fault” in Michigan.  If you have auto insurance (or if you fall in the order of priority to qualify for coverage under another person’s auto insurance), it doesn’t matter who was at fault for the accident – you still get your benefits paid.  However, when the law changed in 2020, limitations were placed on those benefits.  Before the law changed, you could receive unlimited personal insurance protection (PIP) benefits.  Now, the amount of benefits you can receive depends on the applicable policy limits.  This is why you should always buy unlimited PIP coverage when you renew your auto insurance if you can afford it.

Medical expenses

In Michigan, certain “allowable expenses” are payable under the auto insurance policy that applies to you.  These allowable expenses included medical expenses for reasonably necessary products, services and accommodations for your care, recovery, or rehabilitation.  Sometimes an insurance carrier will argue that they don’t have to pay your medical bills because the treatment you received isn’t reasonable or necessary.  This is when it is important to find a lawyer who can stand up to the insurance companies and help you get what you need.

Wage loss benefits

If you were working before your car accident, but can no longer work after your car accident, you may be able to get reimbursed for your lost wages.  You may only receive wage loss benefits for the first three years after the date of the accident.  The maximum amount you can receive every year is determined by the legislature.  For example, in 2012-2013, the maximum amount you could recover for wage loss benefits per month was $5,189.  This amount goes up every year.  Fifteen percent (15%) of your gross wages will be deducted to account for taxes.  If you believe you should receive wage loss benefits because of a car accident, call Fran Murphy Law today at 248-763-4111.

Replacement Services

If you used to do chores before the accident such as laundry, lawn mowing, snow shoveling, garbage takeout, dishes, vacuuming, and other chores, you may be able to get paid.  Under Michigan law, if you cannot perform ordinary and necessary services after the accident that you were able to peform before the accident, you can be reimbursed up to $20 per day.  The person who performs the household chores or replacement services must expect payment if you haven’t already paid them for their services.  You may only receive these benefits for up to 3 years after the accident.  If you need help navigating the world of replacement services, call Fran Murphy Law PLC today at 248-763-4111.

Attendant Care

If you are injured and cannot perform certain functions such as bathing you may be able to receive attendant care benefits.  Things like showering, assisting with bathing, wound dressing, helping with walking, and other care tasks may be paid for under the no-fault act.  Unfortunately, with the new law, you can only receive up to 56 hours per week of attendant care from a family member, resident rleative, or someone you had a business or social relationship with before the injury.  MCL 500.3157(1).  Attendant care provided by an agency can be unlimited if your policy provides the applicable coverage.  If you need help understanding this law, call Fran Murphy Law today at 248-763-4111.